· 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
· 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (cook as per packet instructions)
· 2 tablespoons peanut butter or other nut butter/paste
· 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
· 1/4 cup fresh finely chopped coriander
· 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
· 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
· 3/4 cup crushed roasted peanuts or walnuts
· Peanut Sauce
· 3 tablespoons of peanut butter
· 1.5 tablespoons of soy sauce or tamari sauce
· 1.5 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce
· juice of ¼ lime (adjust to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Pat dry the drained and rinsed chickpeas with a paper towel then arrange them on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes to dehydrate, then set aside to cool.
2. Transfer the cooled chickpeas to the bowl of a food processor and pulse on low to pulverize.
3. Add the chickpea mixture along with the remaining ingredients to a large bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more crushed peanuts if the mixture is too wet.
4. Scoop out a heaped tablespoon of the mixture at a time and use your hands to roll it into balls. Arrange them on the lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then gently turn/flip them and bake for another 10-15 minutes. The longer they cook, the firmer they will get. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes.
Serve the meatballs over carrot noodles with peanut sauce, fresh cilantro, and lime juice. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.